Introducing IREM Certified Sustainable Property Version 2.0
Published on: Wednesday, December 9th, 2015
Version 2.0 of the IREM® Certified Sustainable Property certification is being launched at the IREM® Fall Leadership Conference.
For 1000s of properties, LEED is out of reach. It’s too expensive, too prescriptive, or doesn’t apply to the property type. Even more so than the first version, the IREM® Certified Sustainable Property Version 2.0 is attainable, affordable, and meaningful.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Office properties, multifamily communities, and shopping centers can become IREM® Certified Sustainable Properties.
- The certification assesses performance in 5 categories—Energy, Water, Health, Recycling, and Purchasing.
- Here’s the entire certification process:
- Download certification materials
- Complete 15 Baseline Requirements
- Earn at least 62 category points
- Submit your application and pay your application fee
- IREM provides a Checklist, Workbook, and Document List for each property type to help you through the certification process.
- With templates, checklists, and forms for every single requirement and point activity, the Workbook has everything you need to create a sustainability program from scratch, if necessary. It’s paint-by-numbers—with value at the end!
- The certification process doubles as a training program for site staff. You can also use the materials to conduct a SWOT analysis on an existing sustainability program.
- IREM is rewarding past action and encouraging new levels of sustainability, so you can set baselines going back 3 years. For example, one point activity calls for improving energy efficiency in areas under management control by 5%. If you are working on the certification process in November 2015, you can set your baseline beginning January 1, 2012.
- Recertification is every 3 years. Properties will have an entire calendar year to submit a recertification application. For example, if you certify your property in November 2015, you will have until December 31, 2018 to submit the next application.
- Market your certification by putting the logo on your website, letterhead, and other materials, ordering an award plaque from IREM’s vendor, and joining IREM in a press release and knowledge sharing.
- The application fee is $400 IREM® Members/$800 Regular per property. To get the member rate, the property manager must be an IREM® Member or the management company must be an AMO® firm.
Get started by visiting irem.org/gogreen! More questions? Email email@example.com or call (800) 837-0706 x6096.
About the Author
Todd Feist is the Sustainability Program Manager at IREM Headquarters in Chicago. He develops classroom and online courses and helps manage the IREM Sustainability program, including the IREM Certified Sustainable Property certification.